Saturday, July 27, 2019

Saturday 27th July 2019 – Sampson Inlet to Hanover Bay Inlet


It was a late start departing Samson Inlet as I decided to go fishing on the low tide. I lost a couple of lures getting cut off on the sharp rocks and oysters, but I also caught a couple of trevally, a queen fish and a couple of cod, keeping a cod, the queen fish and a trevally for dinner tonight.

Sampson Inlet is very beautiful but also full of crocodiles. In the upper reaches there is a small canyon that ends in a rock bar that is very creepy but good fishing. The inlet is a natural cyclone shelter and is used by some of the pearl farmers.




We got underway around 10:30 heading for Hanover Bay. We had to make passage through Brecknock Harbour and up trough Rogers Strait which is all un-surveyed and quire a hazardous area with a strong tidal flow.

We passed Kuri Bay pearl farm and I called them many times on the radio and telephone as I wanted to see if I could buy some diesel from them, but I got no answer. It’s a very large setup they have, but they could possibly be working at one of their other sites and nobody was there.


As we headed for Rogers Strait I was concerned about the strong tidal flow as we were going against it. As we approached the narrowest section the tide was three to four knots and I started the second engine and powered through.

When I bought Sirocco, I upgraded the engines from nineteen horsepower to thirty horsepower as I intended cruising in the Kimberly and I’m glad I did. Sirocco is not fast using engines, but she is powerful.

Once through the narrow pass I switched off one engine and as we rounded Augustus Island and headed through Port George IV, a fourteen knot breeze sprang up, at first right on the nose, but as we headed for High Bluff we started to motor sail and not long afterwards I was able to switch the motor off and sail for a couple of hours.

Along this passage there was some nice scenery, but for the Kimberly, I thought it was very average and there are few anchorages and many pearl farms.

I managed to avoid any uncharted rocks and reefs and by five o’clock we were sailing into Hanover Bay Inlet.

At five, I decided to call Fonster on the HF radio and told Putu to take the helm. As soon as I started transmitting Putu let out a scream saying rocks ahead. I nearly had a heart attack and dropped the microphone and ran to helm, disengaged the autopilot and did a crash turn to port, but the rocks ahead were just interference from the HF radio signal.

A few swear words echoed through the canyon and it took a while for the adrenaline rush to wear off for both of us. (Fonster never answered by the way)

We dropped the pick not far from Discovery two who was anchored near us the past two nights at Sampson Inlet and Raft Point.

Hanover Bay Inlet is quite spectacular with high canyon walls and was very sheltered, and we had a nice four knot breeze to keep us cool and hopefully keep the bugs away.

We BBQ’ed the fish I caught this morning for dinner, and it was delicious. The cod was the best, followed by the trevally and then the queen fish. The remaining trevally will go into soup for tomorrow night’s dinner.

We listened to the bloops and splashes from fish feeding around the boat and I had a quick check with the torch to look for red croc eyes but didn’t see anything, only long toms and mullet.

Track Sirocco’s progress


No comments:

Post a Comment