Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Wednesday 10th July 2019 –Broome


Another day of hurry up and wait.

I decided to replace the propeller on the dingy. The stainless-steel prop I have on now is pitched for top end speed and I thought it would get the dingy up on the plain quicker than the original aluminium prop, but the dingy seems to be sluggish with more than two adults and is hard to get up on the plane.

I put the old aluminium prop back on and while doing so, a fish jumped and splashed chasing bait fish close to the boat. I have noticed this several times now and this time I reached for my trusty bait caster and chucked out a popper.

Right away I got smashed and the reel screamed as the line peeled off. I could feel the tail thumping and assumed it to be a large GT or queenie. The fish didn’t jump, so it must have been a huge GT.

It went for many long runs and circled the boat several times before I started to make progress and gain some line. Eventually after stretching my arms for over twenty minutes I managed to get him close to the boat and near the surface.

I was shocked when I saw it was a huge cobia. These are great eating and notorious strong fighters and here I am with one on 5kg line on my bait caster. I was getting ready to take him when he went for one last blistering run, but this time directly under the boat.

There was nothing I could do but maybe let out some line and hope he comes back around when suddenly he cut me off on the keel.

I was devastated to loose such a prize fish after such a long battle, not to mention my new popper. Anyway, now its just another fish that got away storey and no one will probably believe me anyway.

I spent the afternoon reprogramming some favourite pages on my graphic display in the saloon.

I also made some wiring changes to my AIS, hoping to fix the weird fault I have been experiencing since installing it back in Perth.

Later I talked to Don on our regular radio sked and for dinner I was invited by Dave to join him and his crew to have dinner over on Fonster.



Before I left, I put my beacon on so I knew which boat to steer for in the dark.


Track Sirocco’s progress


No comments:

Post a Comment