Monday, July 29, 2019

Monday 29th July 2019 – Prince Regent River (King’s Cascades, Camp Creek & Purulba Creek


My alarm went off at 05:30 as last night I calculated the best time to head off upstream to King’s Cascades was between 06:30 – 07:30 due to the 1 to 1.5 hours delay in the tide times.




We got underway around 06:45 and shortly after Discovery One’s two tenders passed us carrying their passengers up to King’s Cascades.

It was another very stressful trip the seven odd miles to King’s Cascades with more strong currents, dangerous rocks and shallow sand bars to negotiate.

As we approached King’s Cascades, we passed Discovery One’s two tenders going back to the mother-ship.

We arrived at King’s Cascades around 08:15, so we had around one hour and fifteen minutes to look around before the tide changed and we had to get out or risk getting stranded in the mud surrounded by thousands of hungry crocodiles.


I entered the King’s Cascades basin and anchored Sirocco right in front of the falls, There was not much water coming down, but it was very beautiful just the same and you could imaging just how grand it must have looked when Phillip Parker King stumbled across them flowing full power in the wet season of 1820.







Putu stayed on Sirocco while I went for a run around in the dinghy to take a few photos and to see where Ginger Meadows got eaten, then I climbed up the waterfall and went for a swim in the pools above and showered under the waterfall. It was so cool and refreshing, but the whole time the clock was ticking.




After climbing back down the waterfall to the dinghy, I went trolling for half an hour to try and catch a barra, but never got a sniff. I did see a three-meter crocodile though.



Time was up, we had reached high tide and it was now time to head back to our previous anchorage before the river dried and exposed sand bars blocking our passage.

Heading back down stream was so much less stressful as I just followed my route in. Along the way we saw thousands of large jelly fish floating in the current and several more small dolphins.

We anchored back at our previous anchorage and I jumped in the dinghy and headed off to explore Camp Creek before the tide dropped too much and trapped me in there for the night.

I headed upstream several miles until I reached the rock bar seeing several crocodiles along the way. I tied the dinghy to a small mangrove tree and set off on foot to the small waterfalls and freshwater pools beyond while nervously looking in every direction for crocodiles.






I had a nice swim in the shallow pools whilst laying back under the small water fall chilling out for half an hour, then with the thought of spending the night alone in this muddy crocodile infested hell hole, I made fast tracks back to the dinghy and headed back out into deeper water where I started trolling for that elusive barra.

Well, I didn’t catch a barra, but this creek was teaming with mangrove jacks and cod and I must have caught a dozen or more before heading back to Sirocco. It was the best fishing I have done for a very long time.


Catching two mangrove jacks on the one lure


Once back on Sirocco, I pulled anchor and headed down stream to Purulba Creek and anchored up stream in front of a lovely Kimberly high red bluff. I filleted all the fish I had kept and baited up four crab nets in the hope of catching some mud crabs.


While the crab nets were in soaking, I headed off in the dinghy to see what was upstream and to do a spot of fishing.

I went up as far as I could a couple of miles before a sand bar was blocking the creek, so I turned around and, on the way back did some more fishing.

I caught a heap more jacks and a very large cod that I released and then I caught the mother of all jacks, a nice two kilo fish that fought like a steam train.

I decided to keep the big jack for tonight’s dinner and headed back to Sirocco just on sunset. It was another huge Kimberly day and I was totally knackered.

Back on Sirocco it was more cleaning fish, then I jumped in the shower while Putu grilled up the big jack in the BBQ.

The fish tasted great, washed down with a few beers and we had an early night with the plan of heading out of the Prince Regent River tomorrow on the high tide around 09:30.

The current in the creek was too strong for the crab nets to sit on the bottom and as I pulled them in, a two-and-a-half-meter crocodile suddenly appeared at the back of the boat and wouldn’t go away.



I pulled in the nets and shook out the bait and put them away as quick as I could, but he still wouldn’t go away. One of the nets had been chewed up and destroyed. I just hope he doesn’t bite my dinghy and destroy that too.

Track Sirocco’s progress


No comments:

Post a Comment