Friday, July 26, 2019

Friday 26th July 2019 – Raft Point to Sampson Inlet


We departed Raft Point around 07:00 and had breakfast along the way. There was no wind, so we were motoring, but I raised the main just in case we got some wind along the way.

Around nineteen miles we reached Langgi and dropped the pick and went ashore in the dinghy. Langgi Inlet has all these amazing shaped rocks and we pulled the dinghy up on the sandy beach and went for a walk for an hour or so to explore.






The rock formations were truly amazing and so strange that it is contained in this very small area. We had a quick look in the George, but as it was low tide it was shallow and we didn’t get too far, so we headed back to Sirocco.







We left Langgi and decided (as we had time) to head past Camden Sound and Deception Bay and carry on to Sampson Inlet. Along the way I saw some whales in the distance through the binoculars.


Another private boat with its own helicopter

We got to Sampson Inlet around 17:00 and as there was still a bit of day light left, I jumped into the tender and headed off upstream for a spot of fishing before the sun went down.

I lost one lure and broke a treble of another as the upper reaches was very shallow with lots of rocks and oysters. This place reeks of crocodiles and I was on my guard at all times.

I got back to Sirocco just on dark with a nice pan size trevally for tomorrow night’s dinner and as I cleaned it, I noticed a large 2.5 meter tawny shark circling the boat, so I gave him a feed (much to Putu’s disgust) thinking if he ate it the croc's won’t smell it.

Later while listening to all the bloops and splashes from fish feeding around the boat, I had a quick check with the torch and immediately saw the red eyes of a 2.5-meter crocodile about twenty meters away from us.


I kept checking on him every ten to fifteen minutes with the spotlight, and he was there for hours watching us.

Putu baked a lovely loaf of bread and made pizza for dinner which was delicious. I was so tired both today, and tonight, that after two beers I was falling asleep and had to go to bed early. 

Track Sirocco’s progress


No comments:

Post a Comment