Sunday, June 30, 2019

Monday 1st July 2019 – Port Headland


I was awake around 06:30 waiting for a call from the Landside Operation Coordinator. Our 07:00 refueling time slot got changed once again to 14:00, so I got on with updating my blog and several other things.

At around 11:30 I receive a message saying a new time slot has opened up for 12:30 and all of a sudden, we had to snap into action and follow in behind the huge tanker we could now see coming down the channel.

I got permission from VTS to enter the harbour and organised for the Recharge Petroleum person to be ready onsite, put out some fenders and quickly pulled the anchor.

Right on que, the massive super tanker sails past us and then we motored out in behind him. I had a fair idea where to go, but had Google Earth open to assist finding the fuel jetty.

We entered the tug pens and found the correct jetty to tie up against and then I sent a message to both the Landside Operation Coordinator and the Recharge Petroleum person to let them know we were here and waiting.

Both guys arrived promptly and within twenty minutes we had completed our refueling and we were ready to depart the port. I got permission to leave from VTS and fifteen minutes later we were anchored back where we were previously.

It was such an anticlimax, but at least we got to see firsthand the workings of one of Australia’s busiest shipping ports.

It was now back to hurry up and wait. The plan is to head off tomorrow morning, destination Broome.


Track Sirocco’s progress




No comments:

Post a Comment