Friday, June 28, 2019

Saturday 29th June 2019 – Montibello Islands to Broome – Diverted to Port Headland


This turned out to be one of the worst nights of my life.

The wind increased to around forty knots, but the sea increased to well over five meters and every second wave was breaking.

Even though I reefed the night before it wasn’t enough and we were way over powered and it was too dangerous to go onto deck to reduce sail, so all I could do was to almost stall the sails to reduce speed to around two to four knots and because of this I could only steer into the wind.

At one point in the night we had a thousand-foot iron ore tanker heading right for us and there was no way I could alter course. It passed in front of us doing ten knots only about two hundred meters away and I didn’t breathe for over an hour and had white knuckles on the wheel.

The waves were so big several times white water broke over the hard top on Sirocco and showered down all around us. We had waves constantly crashing over the bow washing over the cabin and we were getting thrown about and the noise was deafening.

It was a relief when the sun came up but even more scary when you could see the size of the breaking waves coming at us. I down loaded a weather report and the current conditions were predicted to last until 7 PM, so it was going to be a very long day.

At some stage there was a loud bang and the boom went out of control. I now had no choice and had to go on deck to sort out the issue.  With life jacket on, I attached my harness to the mast and attempted to lower the main sail.

At one point a large breaking wave was heading directly for me and I hugged the mast with all my might and hung on as the wave crashed over me and I cut my thumb badly on one of the mast fittings.

I managed to get the main sail down and secured and roll up the genoa. The mounting hardware on the boom holding the main sheet pulleys had broken, so I secured the boom the best I could and started both engines and set a course for land to try to get to calmer water as soon as possible.

We were still sixty miles offshore and I could only steer south east to make any progress through the large breaking waves. Over the hours the wind and sea gradually moderated and slowly I could gradually change course to head for Port Headland for shelter.

In the previous twenty-four-hour period, we had covered over 150 nautical miles, and for about twelve hours during the gale we covered only about 30 nautical miles and it took us all day to travel the 60 odd nautical miles back to Port Headland.

The last thing I wanted to do was enter one of Australia’s busiest shipping ports at night, but once again we had no choice and we just wanted to get out of these rough conditions and recuperate in sheltered waters.

As super tankers were being moved in and out of the channel, we snuck in between two tankers and at 19:30 somehow found the tiny anchorage in the dark and dropped anchor next to another catamaran (Playground) who was also heading towards the Kimberly.

Track Sirocco’s progress


No comments:

Post a Comment