Thursday, June 6, 2019

Thursday 6th June 2019 – Carnarvon


Today Putu arrived back from Perth and I started to prepare Sirocco for our next passage to Coral Bay. I put the tender back on the davits and then investigated the leaking raw water pump on the port engine.

The bilge pump on the port engine has been coming on regularly since leaving Hillary’s and I wasn’t exactly sure if the bilge pump was faulty, but I knew the raw water pump was leaking.


I only had this raw water pump rebuilt about four months ago, and it’s such a difficult job removing and re-installing this pump I have been ignoring it hoping it will magically come good but knowing its critical to get it fixed while we are still close to civilization.

This pump lasted thirteen years before needing new bearings and seals, so I am not happy it only lasted four months. I hope the pump is okay and it was just a crappy repair job as they are worth about one thousand dollars to replace.


The raw water pump was constantly dripping even while at rest and the bilge pump was emptying the bilge as the water level rose high enough. As expected, it was a prick of a job to remove the raw water pump. You have to dangle upside down and work with the tips of your fingers while the edge of the engine bay is digging into your ribs. You always end up with skun knuckles and bruised ribs working on the raw water pumps.

Putu had been invited to a lady’s day on the catamaran near us (Kinetic Energy) for a chick flick.

Finally, I got the pump out, and then I had to sponge out all the water and clean up all the mess in the bilge. I had called around and found an engineering place willing to do the job and around 11:30 we took a taxi to the engineering business and dropped off the pump, then went to the supermarket to stock up and then took another taxi back to Sirocco.


I spent the rest of the day cleaning out the port engine compartment and then around four o’clock I got the call that the pump was ready, so once again I took a taxi to pick it up and return me back to Sirocco. All the taxi fares cost more than the pump repair.

Next was the shit job to re-install the pump. Finally, just before dusk it was ready to test. Thankfully it was working okay and not leaking, then I spent the next hour cleaning up and putting everything back as it was.

I just hope this pump lasts until we get to Darwin, or even better I hope it last for the next ten years or longer.

Just after I finished installing the raw water pump, our friend Ted dropped in for a beer and to give me some information he has on the Kimberly. It was a lovely diversion after a day of pain.

After five windless days in Carnarvon, the low we have been waiting for to pass finally arrived. It blew all day and there is now red dust over everything, but the flies are still here in the millions.
The plan is to get back out of the Fascine at high tide tomorrow and if conditions permit, head off for an overnight passage to Coral Bay.

Track Sirocco’s progress



No comments:

Post a Comment