Sunday, June 23, 2019

Monday 24th June 2019 – Dampier


We had a bit of a sleep in, and had a relaxing morning before attempting to repair the broken tender davit. I bent the davit while I was trying to fix it, but managed to align it up and get four longer screws in as the bolts I bought were too short to use.

I put longer screws into the other davit as well. I think the davits should be fine as long as I only hang the dingy and remove the outboard and fuel tank first.

After lunch I replaced the oil and oil filters in both engines and also replaced the oil in both sail drives.

My now it was five o’clock and I put a few calls out for the Kimberly Coast Cruising Yacht Club five o’clock radio sked and Ian from Holly Rose came back from Crocodile Creek. We chatted for a while and I made a call to organise some fuel for him at Cockatoo Island.

Just before sunset we headed over to Sam’s Island in the dingy for a look. Sam worked for Hamersley Iron back in the 70’s and retired onto the Island as a hermit.

I visited him many times in the 90’s and he was proud to show us around his Island and enjoyed having visitors, although he was a very private person.

I head that Sam had died in recent years and his Island home had fallen into disrepair. His house and shady palm tree yard was a mess. Last time I was here the sand under the palms was manicured raked and there was a furrow on the path caused from his gummy leg and he had bread baking in the oven.










After the sun went down, we headed over the HHB&SC for a nice hot shower and a rubbish run, then headed back out to Sirocco for dinner.

Track Sirocco’s progress


5 comments:

  1. Good to see the old crabbing spot still producing. Lach is keen to get back there one day. Last year he headed up to Kalumburu with his tinnie. Enjoying reading all about your trip Craig.
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it was nice to share all that wildlife with Sarah and Putu. The place is alive and well and it was good to see it one last time. A good feed of muddies was nice too !!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about Sam passing, i still remember walking through his little fortress in amazement as a kid...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, I remember Sam's gummy leg digging furrows in the tracks around his Island. He was so house proud, he would let you look in the door but not go in. Now all doors are open and all his possessions are still sitting where he left them. The whole place is rapidly deteriorating and it was sad to see. The ranger in Karratha maintains the gas bottles at the BBQ and waters the palm trees.

      Delete