Sunday, October 27, 2019

Sunday 27th October 2019 – Labuan Haji (Pulau Moyo) to Medana Bay


I woke up at first light and immediately raised the main and pulled the anchor as we had a long way to go today if we were going to reach Medana Bay which was 109 miles away.

I had wanted a shorter passage and to go to Potopaddu Bay for the night, but Putu was keen to get home. If I could keep up a fast pace of 6 to 7 knots, I should be able to get to Madana Bay just on sunset, but I was dreading a night passage and entering the anchorage in the dark.

We got off to a bad start with the lite breeze right on the nose, but I was hoping as we sailed around Lombok the wind angle would slowly improve to a point where we could sail the rest of the way.

We passed many small fishing boats, lots of FAD’s and a large Aussie dive boat heading for Komodo.





Unfortunately the wind persisted directly on the nose and we had a strong current against us slowing our speed to around 4 ½ knots and I knew I would have to sail the last few hours in the dark in a very busy part of Indonesia and I was not looking forward to it and I swear I wont let this happen again.

For about an hour we had many dolphins riding our bow wave in the crystal-clear water and it was such a great site sitting up on the bow watching them swim effortlessly as they were watching me. I never get tired of watching these beautiful animals.







The further west we traveled the greener the terrain got and the higher the terrain got with huge volcano's dominating the horizon. Underwater the sub terrain was quite spectacular also as the seabed went from 20 meters to well over 2000 meters in less than a mile.

I also passed over many active seamounts that were venting either gas or hot water that was clearly visible on my sonar.



As we worked our way around the North coast of Lombok, the wind followed us remaining directly on the nose as I prepared for a stressful night as the sun slowly went down as I dodged hundreds of small fishing boats.


With the boat lit up and the radar on, I carefully picked my way through all the boats hoping they would see me and move out of my way. Around 21:15 we reached the approach to Madena Bay that was full of anchored yachts, moorings and jiggered dangerous coral reefs. By now I was fried from intensely concentrating on the radar, looking through the binoculars and checking the chart.

I carefully negotiated the reef and slowly made our way into the bay and found a nice place to anchor between several yachts and I dropped the pick. Unfortunately, when the boat swung around with the current, we were too close to the reef for my liking, and so I pulled the anchor and slowly edged forward between several yachts using the radar and the spotlight.

One of the cruisers yelled out to us telling us there was mooring in front of his yacht which I had already seen, so I decided to pick it up for the night so I could sleep peacefully. After a quick bite for dinner and a couple of beers I was sound asleep.


Track Sirocco’s progress




No comments:

Post a Comment