Thursday, October 17, 2019

Thursday 17th October 2019 – Sawu Island to Rinca Island


We were meant to get an early start, but I didn’t bother setting the alarm and when I woke around 06:30, I couldn’t be bothered getting up and I dazed back to sleep again.

I woke a little while later and slowly got the boat ready to depart. I made a coffee and cracked open one of the many coconuts we carry for a drink and a feed. I don’t know why we can’t buy these back home as they are so good.

We departed Sawu just before eight and set sail for Rinca Island, in the Flores group. Rinca Island is one of the five Islands that has Komodo dragons living on them. I was going to overnight at Waingapu on Pulau Sumba, but as we are so close to Komodo now, I just wanted to push on and get to the good country as fast as I can.

The passage to Rinca is about 165 miles and should take us about 27 hours to complete.
The ocean looks like a blue sheet of corrugated glass and its hot with just a slight breeze as we power along doing six knots in over two thousand meters of water.


We saw a few ships on the AIS and a couple small wooden fishing boats, but very little marine traffic overall. Our speed had slowly increased to over eight knots and we were making very good progress.






Track Sirocco’s progress



No comments:

Post a Comment