Saturday, October 12, 2019

Saturday 12th October 2019 – Darwin to Kupang (East Timor)

This morning, after a beautiful sunrise we received a visit from a large school of dolphins who swam on the bows for ten minutes before bidding us farewell.





We saw our first Indonesian fishing boats this morning that were around 220 miles out from Timor. They were way off in the distance, but it looked like they turned and ran towards us when they saw us, but gave up as we were going way too fast.

We also started to see the first Indonesian plastic floating around at about 210 miles out.

One strange thing I saw was hundreds of cuttle fish back bones all floating in one place. I was thinking maybe it was from a sperm whale fart? I never saw any more after that?

I passed the time away doing some more boat jobs in the tropical heat. I replaced the topping lift that had chaffed during the Kimberly trip. It was just about to snap again, so I caught it just in time.

I then rewired all the turnbuckles shut and attempted to replace the dinghy tire & tube. This proved to be too hard and I decided I’d pay some poor basted in Kupang to do it for me.

I then fixed the spot light. The cable had an intermittent connection due to some corrosion where the cable had been nicked.

I checked the fuel and we were down to around twenty litres, so I put in 40 litres from two new jerry cans I had stored on deck.

There was very lite wind all day today and the sea was glassing out a bit. The wind finally came up a bit and at a favorable angle, so I unfurled the jib and we were motor sailing along at seven plus knots for most of the day.

On the very edge of the Australian territory there are lots of sea mounts rising up from hundreds of meters to within tens of meters from the surface. As we cruised through these underwater mountains they were fascinating to watch on the sonar.

I was dragging a lure and was sure I would hook-up sooner or later as the summits of these mountains were all swarming with fish and sure enough just before sunset the reel went off with a scream as I hooked up with a small mackerel. Unfortunately, it got off just before I landed it.

It would be incredible to dive on these sea mounts or even to stop and have a bottom fish, but we don’t have the time or the freezer space. From some of the sonar imagery, it looked as if some of these sea mounts could be active volcanic vents, as some looked to be very porous and venting gas or hot water.



Just after a beautiful sunset, I detected a small wooden boat that had entered our radar guard zone and I tracked it for quite some time as it got within a mile or so from us. It had no lights on and as a precaution I gathered my spear gun, gidgie, baseball bat and some rocket flares just in case they were required, but they slowly disappeared of our screen and that was the last we saw of them.



I decided to get all our spare fuel out and refuel the boat, as we were going to have to do a fuel run tomorrow, so I might as well be prepared. We probably will have used 220 litres going 470 miles from Darwin to Kupang.

Throughout the night we saw several more small fishing boats, none of them having lights, so we just keep chugging along and hope they see us and keep out of our way. My worst nightmare would be running over and getting tangled in one of their fishing nets and having to cut ourselves free.

We have been lucky to have a full moon for this passage which has lit up the night sky making it easier to see things. The other thing is how beautiful blue and clear the water is, the colour is really amazing.

We are both dead tired tonight and it’s getting harder to maintain a watch.




Track Sirocco’s progress



No comments:

Post a Comment