Sunday, October 20, 2019

Monday 21st October 2019 – Labuan Bajo to Gili Lawa Darat


I woke with the sun shining through my hatch onto my face and stumbled out of bed around 06:00. It was about 07:45 by the time we were organised and got rolling.



Our destination was Gili Lawa Darat where I hear the diving is great. It took nearly four hours to get there and there were two free moorings right in the bay I had chosen, how good is that.



Right away I jumped in to check the mooring and as the water was so warm, I decided to careen the boat. The hull was still really clean after nearly two years and there were only a few spots here and there that needed to be scrapped off.

While I was in the water a large dive charter boat tied up to the other mooring and then out of the blue comes our friends on Lyre, so we offered to let them raft up to us for the night.


Once rafted up, we all piled into our dinghies and went snorkelling. The coral and fish life here were awesome and the visibility was superb. I must have spent five hours in the water today seeing turtles and sharks and quite a few pelagic species as well.

There is a popular drift dive in the channel between Gili Lawa Darat and Komodo Island called Golden Passage and I must have done it five times.

When the sun went down, we all went back to our boats and Putu cooked up a huge pot of crab and corn soup and Benoit made a quiche and we washed it all down with quite a few beers.
We chatted until late then we all hit the fart sack.





Track Sirocco’s progress



No comments:

Post a Comment