Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Wednesday 23rd October 2019 – Gili Lawa Laut to Wera Bay

I woke around 06:00 and went for my last snorkel in Komodo national park, shooting shotgun passage and the fringing reefs. I didn’t see any manta rays today, but I did see a few sharks and a turtle. 

As soon as I got back to Sirocco, I got the boat prepared and we left at 08:30, headed for Wera Bay on Sumbawa, shooting the shot gun one last time in Sirocco.


Shotgun passage


Along the way we saw a few ships and the ocean was glassed out with no wind and it was very hot.

We passed over a sea mount that rose up from 200m to 2m and I was thinking of diving it but the current was too strong at the time, so after a quick look around we continued on.






Spot the nice new addition to Sirocco’s helm?



As we approached Sangiang Volcano in the passage between it and Sumbawa, there was a strong current of three knots against us, so I hugged the shallow water on the Sumbawa side.

We watched in amazement as Sangiang Volcano would erupt about every 10 minutes, sending ash and steam billowing high up into the air like a mushroom cloud.


When we arrived at Wera Bay, right away we headed into shore to go and have a look at the traditional boat building on the beach. There were 4 boats being built, one huge, one large and two smaller, all made by hand and held together using wooden pins.







The people were friendly, but went about their business as if we weren’t there. The kids were super friendly and kept calling out to me.

A woman dressed as a letter box approached Putu and said let’s talk, apparently, she wasn’t impressed that Putu was wearing shorts and I think she got a big shock when Putu spoke in Bahasa and said she is not Muslim and is also from Indonesia.












Check the twin props on this bad boy canoe

The boats were awesome to see, and the timber smelt great too. The bay was very rolly and in the distance we could see the red lava erupting high into the air from the summit of Sangiang Volcano.

A had a few beers while I updated my blog and then got an early night as we will be moving on tomorrow.


Track Sirocco’s progress





No comments:

Post a Comment