Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Tuesday 15th October 2019 – Kupang to Sawu Island


We both had a bit of a sleep in, but I had to get up early as I had offered to take a look at a faulty radio and AIS on-board Lyre before they left to see immigration at 8 o’clock.

After a quick coffee, we headed over to Lyre. I replaced a coaxial connector, the radio and antenna were fine, but I don’t think the antenna wasn't broad enough for the AIS and it was shutting down due to high VSWR. I suggested he try to buy a new separate antenna for the AIS.

After this, we went and did some last-minute shopping, some bread, a machete and a lovely bunch of coconuts. (as you do)

Back at the beach we bought the boys some lunch and we gave Riley and Alex a $10 handshake each as a departure gift and they were stoked.

It’s easy to see these people as savages and opportunists trying to rip you off, and to the naïve foreigner that’s what they see, but if you can understand the politics and take the time to learn their sad existence then you will realise they are just very poor people trying to put food on the table and educate their kids.

I could tell Riley had a big heart the moment I first shook his hand, and his mate Alex. While we were off filling our guts full of food and booze, Riley and his wife were sleeping under the jetty in a fishing net waiting for us to return, while Alex was nearby waiting to swim out in the dark to get the dinghy for us.

Maybe that’s where Riley and his wife live? I don’t know, but we left Kupang as best friends and he held my hand tight and said please stay safe out there and I knew he meant it.

We never saw Michael after we paid him, and he never dropped by to say good bye. He was a nice man, but just a business man.

I sent some business to Riley and I look forward to seeing him some time in the future when we check back out of Indonesia. Funny how things are not always like what they seem, that little boat we thought was breaking into Sirocco was actually fishing, as we watched them same time each night.

We still have all our padlocks and the motion detection alarm, but as Phil Collins once said, think twice, as it’s just another day for you and me in paradise.

We set sail at 13:00 and I know Riley and Alex would have been watching as we sailed off tacking around Kera Island before setting a course for Sawu, one hundred miles away.

On the way our, the water depth quickly dropped off to several thousand meters as we dodged a few fish attraction devices (FAD’s) and it was smooth sailing all the way as we passed many tankers and ferries under a beautiful full moon.


FAD (Fish attraction device)

Occasionally a pod of dolphins would suddenly appear and ride the bow wave for a while then vanish into the night.




Track Sirocco’s progress




1 comment:

  1. Craig what a beautiful post, brought tears to my eyes. I am loving your blog and never want this adventure to end. Stay safe

    ReplyDelete