Friday, October 11, 2019

Friday 11th October 2019 – Darwin to Kupang (East Timor)


After a long tiring night, a massive ball of fire slowly rose from the east to start another day. The sun woke me up and after some breakfast, I started on some boat jobs.

To prepare for our arrival in Indonesia, I put a chain and lock on the outboard, dinghy and jerry cans on the deck. Then I made an extension arm for the outboard motor that would have been so handy in the Kimberly.

Now that I had our new fold up solar panel blanket, I had to wire in an external solar panel connection to the main buss, so we can plug it in when required. It was going to be a big job in the heat and I was not looking forward to doing it, but I couldn’t put it off any longer.

 All went well and I had it completed in a couple of hours and I tested the new 200 watts fold out panel and all was working well. This will help us keep the house battery charged up during cloudy weather and heavy loads.

Today we had calm seas and we motor sailed all day with a 6 – 8 knot wind at 30 degrees and it was hot, hot, hot.

We saw some dolphins out off in the distance and we finally lost sight of Lyre. At one point we passed over a reef that came up from 70m to 15m. There were lots of fish on the sounder and I was very tempted to pull up and drop a jig, but we were short of time so we continued on our way.



Just on sunset the reel started screaming as we caught a yellowfin tuna and right away, we made sashimi and it was delicious.


We only saw one ship on the AIS a long way behind us, and nothing else all day or night. The sea bed all the way out is flat as a billiard table and the water is slowly getting deeper at around one hundred meters. We have covered around 150+ miles in past 24 hours.

Tonight, Putu helped me by doing some watches while I got a little sleep. The wind was blowing between 6 – 10 knots right on the nose all night and the main was flogging all night as we motor sailed all the way.





Track Sirocco’s progress



No comments:

Post a Comment