Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Wednesday 21st August 2019 – King George River


Today we decided to move from the twin falls back to the side creek up near the mouth of the river so Bruce and I could go for another swim at east arm falls before we leave.

I setup the GoPro on the bow of Sirocco and took time laps footage all the way along the river and along the way we passed a small yacht heading up to the twin falls. I waved to the two old men as we went past and they just stared at me motionless. I hate rude people like that, so I adjusted my hat with one finger and we continued on our way.

We anchored at the mouth of east arm creek pretty much where we were last time and then Bruce and I headed off in his dinghy. As we approached east arm falls, there was a three-meter-long crocodile sunning itself on the rocks just waiting for someone (literally) to drop in.

The fifty-meter climb up the rope wasn’t any easier the second time around and I was pretty knackered by the time I reached the top. At the top of the rope I noticed the rope was only jammed into a crack in the rocks and held there by a knot. Oh well.

There was a strong cool easterly wind blowing so the water felt cool and not as refreshing as last time, but we both went in for a swim and then warmed up in the sun before going back in several more times.


I heard a large splash nearby and at first, I thought it might be one of the big cane toads we have been seeing, but next thing a goana swims past me and climbs up onto the rock ledge to sun himself.


After a while, it was time to climb back down the rope and head off. We couldn’t see the crocodile waiting next to the dinghy, so down we went. It was a hard climb and my hands and arms were very sore and tired and as soon as I got back to Sirocco, I curled up and had a nice nanny nap while Bruce went out fishing.

When I woke, I felt the need to have my fishing fix, so I headed out for a trawl. It was low tide and in this part of the river it was too shallow near the edges to trawl and it was very frustrating trying to find water deep enough.

I headed down towards the river mouth and as I went past a small beach there was a fresh crocodile track with the feet about a meter wide, so I didn’t hang around and headed back to Sirocco.


That evening we had dinner on Lizard. Luke cooked up a lovely stew and we washed it down with some beers and a bottle of red wine.



Track Sirocco’s progress





No comments:

Post a Comment