Thursday, August 8, 2019

Thursday 8th August 2019 – Mitchell River to the Osborne Islands


We woke to the sound of midgies flapping their wings and it was stinking hot without a breath of wind. There is not a lot to do here in the Mitchell River except for fishing.

It’s dangerous to take the boat further upstream without surveying it first at low tide in the dinghy due to all the rocks and sand bars and you can’t get anywhere near the falls.

I was thinking of taking the dinghy up to Surveyors Creek for a look to see if there was any water flowing, but to be honest, we were both a bit sick and tired of mud and midgies so we decided to pull the pick and head for the Osborne Islands that sounded a lot more interesting.




After breakfast we up anchored and headed for the Osborne Islands. We rounded Pickering Point and cruised past Port Warrender where I had driven into and spent a week years before and headed towards the iconic Steep Head Island.


It wasn’t far to the southern Osborne Islands and I had to negotiate a pearl farm on the approach and then I headed up near Kidney Island where I dropped the pick so I could go and take a look in the dinghy at the biggest boab tree in the Kimberly.

About a mile up the channel I spotted the tree and went ashore to go and check it out. It was big, but it was a gnarly old bugger and not a very impressive looking specimen. I wonder how many hundreds or thousands of years old it is? I saw a boab growing in the sand on a beach right next to the cliff at the high tide mark also.



I got back into the dinghy without seeing any croc's and decided to have a bit of a troll back to Sirocco. I caught a few massive GT’s, a lazy Jack and a massive cod. Several other fish either got off or snapped my line. I released all the fish as we still had plenty of fish in the fridge, but it was hard to say goodbye to that lovely big cod.


We negotiated more peal leases and headed for Cyclone Bay where we dropped the pick in the late afternoon and I went for another troll just on dark without any success.


It was another hot breathless night with lots of midgies to keep us company.






Track Sirocco’s progress





No comments:

Post a Comment