Thursday, August 1, 2019

Thursday 1st August 2019 – Hunter River


I was very tired and slept in this morning. It was a hot night with lots of bugs. I had decided to ask Lenny from Discovery One for some diesel as he did offer us some several days ago, and I wanted to catch him now while he was anchored very close to us.

I called Lenny on the radio and he said no problem and to catch up with him later on today, which was a real relief, as our dwindling fuel supply has been playing on my mind for some time now.

During breakfast we watched two Paspaley Pearl sea planes land nearby to do a crew change with the Paspaley Pearl mother ship anchored close by.

At the top of the tide we ventured up the Hunter river several miles and anchored Sirocco while I went exploring in the tender. I saw many large crocodiles including one sunning itself, three meters high up on a rock platform. If startled, it could have landed on top of me in the dinghy.


There were high waterfalls at the head of the three separate creeks and to reach them required walking across muddy rock bars and up through rugged gorges, I decided not to risk it on my own and headed back to Sirocco.



I tried a bit of fishing on the way back and never got a sniff.

I moved Sirocco several miles around to the spectacular Porosus Creek and anchored several miles upstream and immediately went for a run in the dinghy to check out the upper reaches before the tide went out too far.

Along the way I saw several crocodiles and the whole place, although beautiful, was creeping me out and I was worried about getting stranded at low tide in a blow-up dinghy surrounded by hungry fat crocodiles, so got the hell out of there and sped back to Sirocco. (doing a spot of fishing along the way 😊)



While I was away, a massive mega yacht had pulled up right behind us and three of the crew dropped by on their way fishing to say g’day. Ironically, they offered us food and fuel and I might go and see them tomorrow for a little bit of extra fuel.




The whole time we had been anchored here, a two-meter crocodile has been sitting just behind the boat. At four o’clock I spoke to Dave from Fonster on the radio. They were at the Horizontal Falls and it was good to catch up with them and to hear how they were going.




In the late afternoon I went across to Discovery One with my jerry cans to get fuel and had a good long chat to Lenny. He said he will drop them off tomorrow. What a nice bloke.


On the way back to Sirocco, I nearly ran over a very large shark. I decided to go for a quick fish upstream just before dark and sped off up the creek.

Several miles upstream I was going full throttle when suddenly I hit a sand bar and, in an instant, I was thrown overboard into the water. It all happened so fast. I recall being underwater, having sand all over me, but I never let go of the dinghy hand hold.

I stood up, terrified of being left behind in the creek just on dark as the dinghy sped off without me. I must have twisted the throttle off when I got flung out and I was able to pull myself back into the dinghy and regain control, then I noticed my bucket containing my radio and other bits floating away, so I reached out to grab that back.

The tide was rapidly going out and we were grounded, so I had to act fast and get the boat free and floating again and get back out into deeper water. I was relieved to be moving again, I was soaking wet, sand in my hair and down my pants and a very sore shoulder.

I still don’t know what happened, but it scared the shit out of me and I’m so glad I didn’t end up as croc tucker. I waited till I dried off a bit before heading back to Sirocco (more fishing), then jumped straight into the shower without telling Putu as she would freak out if she knew. Lesson learnt, go up stream fast at high tide and slowly at low tide.

For dinner we had lovely mangrove jack fillets out in the cockpit with a nice breeze blowing and every now and then we would check around us with the spotlight and the most croc's counted at one time was eight. (I just can’t imagine spending the night up a mangrove tree in a crocodile infested creek)

At one point in the night I yelled, saying to Putu “quick come and have a look at this, there is a croc on the back step of the boat”, she came running to see her Croc shoe on the back step. Sucked in big time.



Track Sirocco’s progress


No comments:

Post a Comment