Saturday, August 3, 2019

Saturday 3rd August 2019 – Rainforest Ravine to Bigge Island (Wary Bay)


I had a bit of a sleep in today as I am feeling very fatigued. After breakfast, I headed off up the ravine in the dinghy around 09:30 on the rising tide.

I went up as far as I could where a rock bar has fresh water flowing over it. I tied the dinghy to a tree high up on the canyon wall, so I didn’t have to worry about the rising tide.





Rumor has it there is a large resident crock here, so I was extra careful getting out of the dinghy and working my way up past the rock bar to follow the water course.

The scenery in the ravine was really beautiful and the further up I went, the more scenic it got with small flowing waterfalls, crystal clear rock pools, ferns, shady trees, pandanus palms and lots of butterfly’s flying everywhere.




Green ants are a hazard in the Kimberly. They bight like hell but their green bum tastes great, a very strong citrus flavor



Wild lavender





There was lots of wild lavender growing and the whole place smelt nice with the sound of water flowing and birds singing.

The pandanus palm fronds were a hazard as they have a spiky serrated edge that will spike or cut you (even the dead leaves on the ground) and the other hazard were all the green ants in the trees as some of them had nests and they can be very aggressive.

I walked up the ravine for over an hour, passing another small stream entering from the left-hand side. I found a couple of large tortoise eggs that had been washed out of the sand where they had been laid.



Eventually the canyon walls narrowed and there were some nice crystal-clear pools and small waterfalls, so I got in and cooled off for a while, before making the long trek back to the dinghy.


After a nice swim, I headed back to the dinghy as fast as I could go and luckily it was right where I had left it. The tide had come in quite a bit and I kept a weary eye open for any pesky crocodiles.

I got into the dinghy safely and did a bit of trolling in the upper reaches still hoping to catch a barra, but not a sniff again, so I powered hard back to Sirocco as I wanted to get to Bigge Island today to look at some aboriginal art, then hopefully make it to Prudhoe Island before night fall for our anchorage.

On the way to Bigge Island we passed several turtles basking in the sun and also saw a couple of whales breaching and splashing about in the distance.

This whole area is not very well charted and every now and then you come across a patch of muddy water and you think you are about to hit an uncharted reef, but it turns out to be nothing. Just keeps you alert.

We dodged rocks and reef all afternoon and I played it safe taking a wide berth around Bigge and it took much longer that I had anticipated.


Tooth rocks

Eventually I gave up on making Prudhoe Island and started the second engine and headed for Wary Bay on Bigge Island making the anchorage just on dark.

The wind dropped off to five knots and we appeared to be well sheltered from the ocean swell in eleven meters.

Tomorrow I will go ashore to take a look at the aboriginal art.


Track Sirocco’s progress


No comments:

Post a Comment