Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Wednesday 4/10/2023 – King George River

The last 4 hours was a rough ride under engine with 20 kts on the noise. A small vessel with unidentified AIS went past just as we were approaching the King George River, but I couldn’t physically see it, and there was no information on the AIS. I assume it was probably a private yacht heading towards the Berkeley River. 

We cautiously approached the river mouth at 08:55, 1.5 hours behind my planned schedule. We had done 245 nautical miles in 42 hours. High tide was 08:15 and we got to the first waypoint at 09:05. The shallowest it got was 2.5m on the strait in approach, 4.0m at way point 1 and 12.7m at way point 2 at 09:10. 



It was a relief to cross the bar without any dramas. There is a reported rock in the middle of the river up ahead that we had to avoid, and after that we should be fine. We slowly cruised all the way upriver doing about 2.5 - 3 kts admiring the magnificent scenery. I will never get sick of this beautiful river.

Along the way, we passed two catamarans that were coming out and heading to Darwin tomorrow. I chatted on the radio with one of them for 10 minutes. 







We got to twin falls, 7 nautical miles upstream around 12:10, did a few circles under the dry falls, and then dropped the pick at 12:30. It was windy and extremely hot at the falls, yet the beautiful fern garden was still dripping water and was lush and healthy.


As soon as I stopped, fatigue kicked in and I almost immediately fell asleep. I woke around 4pm, it was still quite hot, but the wind had dropped to a lite breeze. While I was asleep, Claudia washed all the cloths, made brownies and cooked a lovely potato & mushroom bake for dinner. 




Claudia spotted a crock lurking near the boat checking us out. I had a shower on the back step, had dinner and then had a few beers while relaxing listening to all the bird calls and fish splashing. This truly is a magnificent place. There was a nice breeze blowing, so hopefully we will get a good night’s sleep. I set the alarm for 06:00 as we had a very big day ahead of us.

Track Sirocco’s progress

No comments:

Post a Comment