Thursday, October 12, 2023

Thursday 12/10/2023 – Berkeley River - The Amphitheatre

I got up at sun rise to go fishing. I caught quite a few fish (cod, trevally, jacks, couta) and lost another 4 lures, but nothing decent to bring home. While I was out, I saw a small stingray swim past and a large crocodile checking me out for dinner.

After a breakfast, I cleaned the water maker intake strainer and ran both engines for a few hours to try and charge up the house battery bank. It has been overcast for the past couple of days and we are not producing enough solar energy to charge them even though I had turned off the second freezer a couple of days ago.


Ironically, after lunch all the clouds disappeared, and it became very hot and muggy. The cicadas were very loud as usual, and the wind was gusting quite strong.

There were strange birds high up on the cliffs in this area that make this very unusual whoop whoop noise, that sounds a bit like monkeys. I’m pretty sure they are pheasant coucal, a type of cookoo.


pheasant coucal


In the afternoon we went for a dunk under the waterfall and then on up to the rock bar to cool off for a while. The tide was quite low, so I pulled the dinghy up to make a barrier between the water and where we were in the rock pools as a precaution for any crocodiles.





After our swim, I went and burnt some more rubbish, then I went fishing. The fish were biting well this afternoon, and I caught about 6 mangrove jacks and a large brim, and I kept 3 or 4 of them for dinner.

While cleaning the fish on the back steps, several large bull sharks came out of nowhere and ate the fish heads that I threw over. They got very agitated and angry with every carcass I threw in. When I had finished cleaning the fish, they were swimming about with their dorsal fins out of the water circling the boat looking for more food.

After washing down the boat, I leant over to scrub the cutting board in the water and just as I had finished, one of the bull sharks took a lunge at me coming right out of the water snapping its jaws at me, while another shark bit the fibre glass bottom of the dinghy. And to think we were worried about the crocks!!

It was a very hot night tonight, and it was very hard to sleep, even with all 3 fans going.

Track Sirocco’s progress

No comments:

Post a Comment