Monday, October 16, 2023

Monday 16/10/2023 – On passage to Darwin

At 02:30 I gave up on trying to motor sail and rolled up the genoa and flattened out the main sail to stop the sails flapping as the wind had dropped to almost nothing.

As we got closer to Darwin, we started to see many large ships, all of us converging into the main shipping channel, so I had to be very vigilant and make sure I was not on a collision course with any of them and to give them all plenty of sea room.

We arrived in Darwin, out front of the yacht club in Fanny Bay at 05:30 just before sun rise where I dropped the anchor. We had done 250 nautical miles since leaving the Berkeley River and it had taken 35 hours averaging 7.1 knots/hour. In total we had gone 579 nm.


At around 08:30 on the rising tide, I pulled the anchor, and we headed off to Bay View Marina, seven nautical miles away, entering the lock at around 09:20. After I had secured the boat, we spent the rest of the day packing up and cleaning the boat. For dinner I took Claudia to a Thai restaurant where we had a very nice meal.

Track Sirocco’s progress

No comments:

Post a Comment