Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Wednesday 27th April 2022 – Pulau Banta to Komodo Island - Monco Bay

I had a terrible sleep last night even though it was cool and a very calm anchorage as I kept thinking of how close we were to the shore and I slept with one eye open and got up regularly to check our position.


I need not bother as there was hardly a breath of wind all night and we hardly moved an inch. In the morning I woke up around 7am and I cooked some bacon to have with last night’s beef rendang. After a couple of coffee's, Luke and I went snorkeling around the boat. After about an hour I got bored with snorkeling this spot and so I took the dinghy for a long ride to where I saw good coral yesterday.



I had another nice lone snorkel before heading back to the boat and getting prepared to move to the next location, Monco Bay on the north west side of Komodo Island only 9 miles away. On the way to Komodo Island I did a few small boat jobs. I reinstalled my gas alarm that I repaired while at home and I also installed a GSM tracking device and I also put some biocide in the fuel tank.



There was hardly a breath of wind and we arrive at Monco Bay around 15:20 against a 4 - 5 knot current with lots of whirl pools and eddy currents. We anchored in 3.7m on a small sandy patch between the coral heads and it took a little bit of adjusting the anchor rode until I was happy with our location and we went for a long dive around the boat to make sure there are no bombies we could bump into in the night. Once I was happy with the anchor I took off in the dinghy and found a great spot to dive with really nice healthy coral and lots of fish.



I love to have a fresh baby coconut every day for breakfast

The water temperature here is close to 34 degrees and is often crystal clear. I dived until it started getting dark and then headed back to the boat. After a shower, I did some washing, had some of last night’s leftover rice for diner, took care of my painful cut hands and relaxed with a few beers. This place is so beautiful with the ever-towering Mt Sangeang volcano dominating the background.



Mt Sangeang volcano dominating the background

Once again both engines have operated flawlessly and reliably which has given my aching body a rest and allowed me to do more cleaning and to get a few boat jobs done. My hands have almost healed up now, but I have a very painful left tennis elbow, and very swollen and painful bone spur under my left knee and my right wrist is also very painful, all from working in awkward positions on the engines.




As I write this it is dead calm and all you can here is the gentle shore break and fish jumping and splashing around the boat.

Track Sirocco’s progress



1 comment: