Thursday, April 21, 2022

Thursday 21st April 2022 – Waiting waiting waiting

 After a coffee, Luke headed ashore to wait for Agok the mechanic while I setup the generator once again to charge the batteries and then I had my morning coconut. As usual the 8 am meeting turned into a 10 am meeting and I spent the morning cleaning up around the boat. Finally, we got two new raw water pump V-belts and I spent an hour or so fixing up a leaking water pump hose that Agok had damaged two days earlier, then I cleaned both engine rooms spotless. 

I checked the weather and made plans for tomorrows passage, ordered some bensin and coconuts to be delivered tomorrow morning and then we waited for a couple of young lads from Klungkung to ride across to Lombok to deliver all the new belts coming from Australia, Bali and Jakarta. I had such a good backup team; everyone was doing so much to help me and I really appreciated the assistance.

The guy in the office at Marina Del Ray had forgotten to give my spare set of boat keys back when we left last Friday, so I had to organize and pay for a rider to bring them all the way from MDR to Medana Bay which was costing me $35 and would take a few hours. 

There were still so many things to do, check, fix but not enough time, some things would just have to wait till I had time on the trip home. For example, everything that had a battery in it was either damaged or ruined. So far, I had fixed the fridge remote, the mozzie zapper and a couple of torches, but there were still many items I hadn’t had a chance to look at yet. 

Some of my communications and navigation systems were quite complex and as I hadn’t seen them or used them for over two years, there was a lot of things I had to relearn and teach myself all over again. I had to find which hard drive has all my KEP files and learn how to use the IRIDIUM satellite phone apps again and I needed to ensure that I downloaded all apps and satellite imagery I will need while we have good cell phone coverage here. 

At least all the passage planning was done in advance before I left home, so I don’t have to stress out about that, but there is still quite a bit of work involved in deciding where to go and what anchorages to head for which all depended on the daily weather forecast. 

After a nice evening shower on the back deck, we went ashore to have dinner with Greg & Sev, a couple of cruisers repairing their covid boats, while we waited for the Bali boys to arrive around 10 pm with our special delivery. 

While we were having dinner, the boys sent a photo of a huge tree down across the road, it turns out they were having a hell of a trip with bad weather and they didn’t arrive at Medana Bay until midnight after leaving home in Bali at 3 am this morning. Luckily, we managed to get them a nice air-conditioned room at the marina for the night.

Track Sirocco’s progress

No comments:

Post a Comment