Thursday, April 28, 2022

Thursday 28th April 2022 – Komodo Island (Monco Bay) to Gili Lawa Laut - North

I slept in till about 07:30 this morning then cooked up some breakfast, before going for a long dive. Unfortunately, I was too late to see any manta rays. We did see some close to the boat when we first woke up, but by the time I got in the water a slight breeze had developed making the manta's dive down deep.


There were lots of very small squid hanging around the boat, but nothing big enough to bother getting the rod out. We pulled the anchor at 10:40 and headed for Lawa Lout. It was only 9nm (2 hours) to Lawa Lout and when we arrived at 12:40 we were very lucky to find the only mooring vacant, so we hooked on right away and then went for a snorkel.


I had high expectations for this place as they often get manta rays here. Last time I came through the mooring was taken, so I was looking forward to diving here this time.

The coral was either very good, patchy or smashed to bits. Overall, the snorkeling was good, but I think the coral was better at the last two locations. There was a lot of fish life here though, I saw a shark and some turtles as well as some bigger fish, but no manta rays. I was surprised to see goats on the Island, apart from a large osprey, there was no other signs of life here and it was as hot as hell.


Just on dusk I went ashore to burn off some rubbish. The beach here at the high tide mark was covered in garbage as far as the eye could see. I picked the most littered location and collected some drift wood, then burnt off as much of the rubbish as I could. It’s hard to believe this is a World Heritage National Park. It would have to be the most littered area I have been to in Indonesia so far and nobody seems to give a shit.


Once again we had a lovely sunset.

Track Sirocco’s progress

No comments:

Post a Comment