Friday, April 22, 2022

Friday 22nd April 2022 – Finally on our way

We got up at first light and went ashore early so we could have breakfast with the Bali boys and thank them for their grand effort in bringing our spare V-belts all the way from Bali. It cost me $100, but it was money well spent as we need to get out of here. After a good breakfast, the boys were keen to head off as they had a long trip back home while I picked up my coconuts and bensin, while Luke went to the shops to get some pegs, batteries and food.

 
I felt confident we had enough spare V-belts to get us safely back to Darwin

After paying the bill, we finally headed off around 10:30. After about an hour of motoring, the bloody port engine over heated once again. I tightened the raw water pump V-belt even though it seemed fine and then check the impeller which also looked fine, but I replaced it anyway just to be on the safe side. 

After doing all this, there was still no water pumping through the system which had me scratching my head? After removing the intake hose, I discovered there was a blockage in the water intake, so I dived over the side in 600 meters of water to check for plastic bags wrapped around the sail drive, but there was nothing. 

After blowing as hard as I could, I finally managed to blow out whatever it was that was blocking the water intake and after connecting everything back up, the cooling system was working fine once again. 


Gili Lawang - Our anchorage for the night

Our destination for the night Gili Lawang was around 40 miles, 6 hours & 40 minutes and just before we arrived the bloody starboard engine overheated and I had to shut it down. We managed to get through the dodgy reef at Gili Lawang using satellite imagery without incident, but once inside the lagoon I nearly ran aground at the far end of the lagoon before slamming on the brakes, then backing out and anchoring in a beautiful shallow lagoon amongst some small fishing boats that departed shortly after. 

Luke made some lovely fried rice for dinner and after dinner I was too tired to give a shit about the dam engine, and so after a nice cool shower on the back deck, I went straight to bed.


Track Sirocco’s progress

2 comments:

  1. It’s just so pretty. It’s a shame it’s so humid if it wasn’t it would be paradise.

    ReplyDelete