Thursday, January 30, 2020

Thursday 30th January 2020 – Gili Trawangan


I didn’t get much sleep last night and woke up hot tired and grumpy. 

Dave (Fonster) called up on the radio this morning telling me he has alternator problems and he has left for Benoa Harbour in Bali to get repairs done and a short time later I watched them sailing past.

I relaxed on the boat until around 11 am and then took the dinghy to shore.
Putu and Iyan were coming over to Gili Trawangan on the fast ferry from Bali and I was looking forward to having some company again.

Shortly after picking up Putu and Iyan and transferring them and their luggage back to sirocco a massive rain squall struck confining us to indoors for the rest of the day.

The wind got up over 45 knots at times and the poor folks on Fonster had a tough time getting back to Bali arriving around 9pm.

With not a lot else to do in these conditions, I washed the boat in the pouring rain while thunder and lightning raged all around us. Later on we enjoyed a nice home cooked dinner and watched a movie.

Once again, I was rudely awakened around 3am with a large boat smacking the poor dinghy under our cockpit and threatening to cause server damage to our cockpit hard top.

I had to act quick and so I raised Putu and Iyan for help. I needed to unlock the dinghy tether before I could move it and I threw the key ring to Iyan while I was holding onto the huge boats bow jerking violently up and down threatening to smash everything including me.

The key ring only had three keys, but in the heat of the moment it seemed to take Iyan five minutes to find the right one. Eventually he got the lock open and we could move the dinghy from under the bridge deck and once clear, I moved it to the port side of the boat where I secured it to use it as a fender to keep this dam local boat from causing any further damage.


It was a good move and we were able to retire for the night, shaken but not stirred. 


Track Sirocco’s progress



No comments:

Post a Comment