Sunday, January 26, 2020

Sunday 26th January 2020 – Gili Gede

I got up at sun rise today to get a few hours work done before the boat heated up. I wanted to install a new current shunt for a new battery monitoring system I had just purchased. It was going to be a long and difficult job and the sooner I get it done the better.


Every job on a boat is difficult

I spent the next eight hours kneeling on my bed with my whole torso inside the battery compartment with arms stretched out. It was hot and harder than I expected and I accidentally blew a fuse during the operation and it took me several more hours finding out what went wrong and rectifying the situation.

I also re-installed an automatic engine charge solenoid that I had removed in Perth before leaving, thinking that it wasn’t required………..Doh !!

With this new equipment I can accurately monitor the state of charge in my house battery bank and automatically charge both battery banks while the engine is running. This will take away all the guess work and save a lot of worry about having flat batteries in the middle of nowhere.


Which wire goes where ?

It was Australia day and Dave had his Aussie music blaring and Aussie flags up and I really wanted to spend the day with him relaxing and drinking beer, but it was nearly dark by the time I got my electrics back together and I was totally exhausted.

I quickly cleaned up and then we all headed off again to a restaurant on one of the small Islands for a nice feed and a few beers.


Track Sirocco’s progress


No comments:

Post a Comment