Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Thursday 6th February January 2020 – Serangan Harbour - Bali


Benoa Harbour is old and decerped, filthy and rat infested and should have been knocked down years ago, yet they still command around $90/d for a piece of rotten jagged floating concrete.


I couldn’t get out of this putrid rip-off cess pit fast enough, but I wasn’t sure Serangan was going to be much better, but I wanted to get on a mooring to prevent a rat getting on-board.

We left Benoa Harbour dodging all the parasailers trying not to get anyone hung up on our mast and motored the five miles around to Serangan harboar which is a busy small fast ferry terminal and small boat mooring area.


Let's go parasailing in the busiest harbour in Bali

Putu made a few calls and organised a mooring for around $20/d while I navigated my way into another new unknown area.

Luckily there was a man in a small boat waiting for us who directed us to the correct mooring and it didn’t take long to get connected. The mooring had lots of growth and looked pretty dodgy and there was no way I was going to dive down in the putrid water to check on it, so I gunned the boat a few times to see if it would drag or snap and it held up, so we decided to stay.

After securing the boat, we motored over to the small boat jetty where we locked the dinghy to the jetty, then headed off to the hotel in Sanur Putu had booked.


Gunung Agung & Gunung Batur - Bali

The hotel was nice and had a beautiful pool, but the best thing was the air conditioning. It was so hot this time of year and we were both struggling in the heat and Putu was still unwell.

I spent a couple of hours in the pool while Putu rested and then we got a call to say the alternator was fixed and the guy will drop it off at the dinghy jetty.

I raced down to the dinghy jetty and the guy was waiting for me with my alternator. I took it out to Sirocco and spent the next two hours hanging upside down dripping with sweat installing it. Nothing is easy on a boat and in this stifling heat even the simplest task has you sweat soaked in minutes.

After cleaning up and putting my bed back together I started up the engine and to my horror the alternator was still not working. So, pull my bed back out, open the engine compartment, hang upside down for another hour and then take it back to the workshop.

Later, after recovering in the hotel pool we decided to head out for some dinner. We ended up gravitating to the loudest music which was a bad bad mistake.

The restaurant we picked ended up being Italian with lots of old drunk people wanting to sing and dance. The food was pretty ordinary also and I couldn’t get out of there quick enough.
Back to the nice cool hotel room for some beers and Foxtel.



Track Sirocco’s progress


No comments:

Post a Comment