Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Tuesday 14th May 2019 – Lancelin to Cervantes


We woke to a beautiful, but cold morning with heavy dew and the lovely sound of dozens of swallows sitting along the safety lines and perched on my fishing rods in the cockpit. After coffee and breakfast, we pulled anchor and headed out bound for Jurien Bay.



Once again there is hardly a breeze, so up with the main and on goes the iron sail. Sea state is once again calm with a 1 – 2 meter swell as we cruise along at 6 knots dodging the odd cray pot.


How do you do this again?


Aren't we meant to be going that way?

Cray pots are such a hazard along the Western Australian coast both to shipping and to wild life with many whales getting tangled and drowning each year. I have had many dangerous incidents where I have been hooked up on a cray pot at 4 am in a large see dangling over the side trying to cut the boat free or limping into harbour with only one engine as rope wrapped around the propeller has rendered the other engine un-serviceable.

Thankfully this cray season the Fisheries Department has finally done something about it and as from this season you are only allowed to have 2 floats (instead of the usual 5) and you have to weight the line so it sinks vertically. This has dramatically reduced the chance of both whales and boats from snagging on them.

Having said that, yesterday I hit two cray pots, the first one must have cut off on the new rope cutting blades I installed on my rudders leading edge and the twisted tangled rope that was trailing came off easy when I untwisted it and pulled it through.




The second cray pot I didn’t see either, all I heard was a slight bang as the rope must have cut through on the rudder blade and by the time I looked out the back all I saw was two floats going out of view behind us. So, the rope cutting blades appear to be a great success and money well spent. (Thanks Peter from Hillary’s boat yard)

By lunch time the sea was getting glassy and I am picking up ships over 164 nautical miles away on the AIS. It’s such a great safety system but it’s a pity all the cray boats are not using it, but I guess they don’t want to share their secret fishing locations with the competition?

I checked my batteries this morning and they had discharged around 77% which is good news as I calculated my bank around 80% so it would appear we are very close to the mark. We are quite power hungry with both a fridge & freezer running continuously and more and more gadgets requiring power or charging.

I upgraded my house bank from 300 A/h to 400 A/h recently and also upgraded my solar regulator from a 30A model to a 40A model knowing I was going to install a new 56 litre freezer and so far the system is working very well. I have the option of charging this bank with either the engines or a generator if needed, but hopefully the solar panels will be more than adequate.



The boat is sitting very low in the water and I have never had this much load on board. It’s not good to load up a catamaran as it impacts its performance greatly, but even with the dirty bottom (the water was too cold to jump in and clean it before we left) we are still maintaining our usual speed. Yesterday we were regularly getting over 11 knots with the swell behind us.

I was concerned with the toilet discharge and bathroom sink discharge outlets being underwater a lot as these don’t have sea cocks fitted, but the do have large anti siphon loops and I checked many times yesterday and no water came in. It just pays to be aware and on top of all these things.

We had a very lazy start today as I knew there wasn’t going to be much wind again, but we should have gotten up much earlier and pushed on as far as we can. I was hoping to get to Jurien Bay (50nm) tonight but once again we won’t get their until just after dusk unless the wind picks up, but at least this time we have several other options such as Cervantes or Grey to pull into for the night.

The wind kicked in around 13:00 and we had a nice leisurely sail all afternoon but it was clear that we weren’t going to make Jurien Bay until after dark, so we headed for Cervantes.

I had been dragging a lour since Hillary’s and it was a shock when I had a hook-up today. I was totally unprepared and the first one got off. It was followed by another a short time later which took a back breaking 15 – 20 minutes to get it in. It was a tuna around 10kg and by the time I got a pair of pliers, my waddy and a knife it had beaten its self stupid in the hand net.

I’m not sure what type it was, but it was dark in colour and the flesh is also very dark. I was looking forward to some fresh sashimi but I prefer a white or lighter flesh for that.

My batteries didn’t get fully charged today as the sail was shading the solar panels most of the day which is a real bummer. Hopefully they will get a good charge tomorrow, if not I will use the engine if they get too low.

Coming into Cervantes was a simple affair and although the swell was up there was no dramas crossing the reef and we had a few dolphins on the bow wave with us.

We picked up a cray fisherman’s mooring for the night, so I hope they don’t come in late tonight or that will be a real bummer having to anchor again here in the dark.


The town looks quite old with quite a few old shacks and also some new buildings. There are the remains of some very old stone jetty’s too.

Well it’s time for a hot shower and a few cold beers and even though this is quite a rolley anchorage, I will sleep well tonight knowing we are on a mooring.


Track Sirocco’s progress


2 comments: