Saturday, May 25, 2019

Saturday 25th May 2019 – Boat Haven Loop to 3-Bay Island (Shark Bay)


We had a late start today, departing the tip of the Carrarang Peninsula around 09:00. We woke at 07:00 as usual, but after some delicious pan cakes for breakfast, I raised the dingy onto the davits to drain all the water out from inside the hull.

I forgot to put the bung in when I first launched it and I think it wasn’t done up tight enough and was letting water in. A LOT of water came out and it’s so much easier now to get up on the plane, I just hope there is no leak and now that the bung is very tight, no water gets in.

We set sail for Freycinet Island and it was a really uncomfortable ride bashing into a twenty-knot wind and sloppy confused ocean. I cranked both engines to get there as fast as we can but it was heavy going for a good hour and a half.

On the way the dingy was flogging hard as we were towing it just by its painter and sooner or later something was going to give, so I pulled up in very rough conditions and replaced the painter with a very long stretchy heavy duty braided mooring line. 

This worked a treat, but I now have to be so careful when I stop that I don’t get this tow line wrapped around the propeller or rudder.

Gradually the conditions moderated and we arrived at Freycinet Island and dropped the pick and went ashore in the dingy after we circumnavigated the Island.




The Island was very rugged with its own beauty and had a small sandy beach in the middle where we landed the tender. The cliffs and topsides were covered in nesting shags and sea gulls.



There were hundreds, maybe thousands of individual nests all with 2-3 eggs or babies.




Trying not to disturb the birds, I climbed to the top of the Island where several sea eagles had their nests; what a life they must have.

On the top of the Island lots of rocks were stacked up like walls. They looked to be too well placed to be natural, so I wonder who did that? I know a lot of these small Islands were mined for guano at the turn of the century, so it could possibly have been a camp at some time past?


I was very weary of snakes, but I never saw any. Back at the beach we watched half a dozen small sharks cruising around in the shallows and we saw a couple of baby turtles on our way back to the boat.


I fixed up the problem with my bait casting reel on the way down and I dragged a popper behind the dingy for twenty minutes and never got a sniff, but I’m so happy its back in action.

From Freycinet Island we set a course for 3-Bay’s Island which is shaped like a three bladed propeller. Along the coast from Giraud Point north, we could see quite a few people camping on the beach as there is an access track through Tamala station.

All this region was first charted by Denham in 1858 sailing HMS Herald and I don’t think it has had much surveying done since, but the water down this end of the bay is deeper and navigation is so much easier. The water is also much more saline and colder as this end of the bay doesn’t get flushed very well.

On the journey to 3-Bay’s Island we saw quite a few dolphins and one dugong dive when he saw us. We arrived at 3-Bay Island around 15:30 and anchored in 2.5 meters of water and immediately headed off in the dingy to check it out.



This Island is shaped like a star and has three beautiful little beaches and we pulled up on the closest one and went for a walk. The lime stone formations were really interesting and there were quite a few large caves, one of them went back about twenty meters and would sleep twenty people. I thought I might see a python or some bats but not this time.




We walked up onto the rough summit over razor sharp lime stone covered in stunted scrub and succulents. There was a large sea eagle sitting on the tallest shrub that took off as we got closer and I was looking around to see if it had a nest nearby.


These twisted knarly trees look like they are hundreds of years old


Suddenly the eagle caught my eye as it swooped in low and took a large baby seagull from the nest as two squawking seagulls looked on. The eagle labored to get altitude with the large bird gripped tightly in its sharp talons. It was marvelous to see such a thing but I felt so sorry for the poor seagulls who have labored all season to raise their only child.


We didn’t walk to the other side of the island to see if the eagles had a nest there, instead we motored about a mile over to the main land to take a close look at all the campers on the nearby beach before heading back out to Sirocco.


There was a large carn on the headland and a small cave that had been decorated that looked pretty bizarre. After a quick look it was getting dark and cold and so we headed back to Sirocco.



I put a few calls out on the HF for the 5 o’clock radio sked with both Don in Perth and also with the Kimberly Cruising Yacht Club cruisers and heard nothing from either. I then switched to 80m and heard some of the boys in Perth booming in so I chatted with them for the next hour and a half.

While cooking dinner one of the galley LED lights had a melt down and took out the circuit breaker. Lucky, I have some spares and was able to get it replaced and working again quite quickly. Once again there was very intermittent mobile phone coverage at this anchorage, but the digital TV worked fine.

Track Sirocco’s progress


No comments:

Post a Comment