Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Tuesday 3rd September 2019 – Darwin


This morning was a bit of a rush as we had to be at the lock gates at Bay View Marina around 10:00. It was much further than I realised and there was a strong two to three knot current flowing against us.




MV Brewster




We eventually got there a bit late and waited for the lock to fill and the huge gates to open for us. It was all very exciting not quite knowing what to expect.


Once in, the gates closed behind us and the water level started to rise. It didn’t take long and then the front gate was opening so we could pass through into the marina.


It didn’t take long to find our allotted pen and unlike our pen at Hillary’s, I had to back in while Bruce gave me a hand to rig up some temporary mooring lines. Once centrally moored, I then spent the next few hours in the hot sun rigging up a set of permanent mooring lines.


By the time I had finished I was sun burnt and totally knackered.

My next task was to remove about ten buckets of Kimberly mud from the anchor well and then wash sixty meters of anchor chain and about eight meters of anchor rode.

I also had to wash all the halyards and spare fuel tanks that were also covered in mud. I think it was around 8pm when I finally finished and retreated to the saloon to get away from the mosquitoes.




Once again we were both totally knackered and we still had another long day tomorrow cleaning the boat before heading back to Perth on Thursday.

Since leaving Hillary’s Yacht Club 83 days ago, we have traveled 3186 nautical miles (5,900 kms) and have burnt 1,746 litres of diesel and used about 13 kgs of LPG.


Track Sirocco’s progress






No comments:

Post a Comment